#rugby4NHS how to get involved
Rosslyn Park Slingbacks have started a campaign which has inspired teams across the country, since although the rugby community is lacking a game to play right now, it is still just that – a community. Like us, many will have been patched up and rehabbed by hospital staff over the years and also called some amazing NHS workers teammates.
The NHS is facing a huge challenge. Care packages of granola bars and other individually wrapped snacks, hand creams, and lip balms are hugely welcomed by ward staff right now, as are things like lunchtime pizza deliveries.
To get involved please remember the following to keep everyone safe:
In terms of logistics, we’re clear that rule number one and our best way of helping the NHS is following the Government guidelines.
What to check
The key advice is to find out what is happening local to you. Each trust will have their own protocols so contact your local hospital – this could be a quick phone call or tweet, for example.
- local councils may be coordinating donations to hospitals
- hospitals may have a donation page set up
- hospitals may have Amazon wishlists set up
- mutual aid networks may already exist to support bulk collections and deliveries that minimise social contacts
- Where in the hospital you may wish to direct this your donation – Covid wards, ITU and A&E are under pressure, but staff groups such as porters can often get overlooked and you may have a personal connection
- Club-coordinated donation pages to collect money for your local hospital
- Covid-safe drop off protocols to minimise social contacts
- Whether teams have NHS staff in their membership who could deliver care packages
- Takeaway vouchers that can be posted/emailed
You can follow what everyone has been doing for the campaign by searching #Rugby4NHS on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook.
We’ve realised that not everyone is in a position to physically drop off a whole hamper so we have set up a fundraising page that you can donate to and we will deliver hampers to hospitals and NHS staff across London and the surrounding areas on your behalf – local to where our players and teammates live.
Follow this link to donate: https://gofund.me/74570879
Every penny donated will go toward a care package and you can track the movement’s progress on social media using #Rugby4NHS
Thank you for your support!