MATCH REPORT: Richmond vs Rosslyn Park




The 1st XV overcame a two score deficit in the second half to defeat Richmond at The RAG in sweltering conditions. 

The home side got off to a hot start as they ran in two tries within the first quarter of an hour thanks to a slick offload from Ted Landray to Jake Caddy and a powerful carry from second row Chris Te Mete. 

Park responded soon after, however, as a tap-and-go following an infringement on the Richmond 5m line created the space for Charlie Walker to cross over in the corner. Then, after the pack squeezed a penalty at a scrum to set up a lineout deep in opposition territory, Walker came close to doubling his tally before being dragged down just short of the line. The ball was recycled quickly and found its way into the hands of James Stokes who dotted down.


A Landray penalty just before half time meant a single score separated the two sides heading into the second period and Richmond then extended their lead after the break thanks to a penalty try. The pack looked to have stopped a Richmond maul just short of the line, but the referee deemed there to have been foul play and sent Will Burton to the sin bin along with awarding the try.

Park once again responded well to falling two scores behind and, after preventing the hosts from adding to their tally whilst Burton was off the pitch, it was Park who got the next breakthrough. A lineout in a dangerous position was broken up by Richmond, but an Arthur Ellis turnover quickly recovered possession for Park and Tom Wilstead worked the ball to the opposite touchline, finding Josh Addams for the much needed try. 

With momentum now firmly in Park’s favour, another dominant scrum penalty provided the platform for an extended attack on Richmond’s line which eventually resulted in Burton crashing over to take the lead. Finally, with just three minutes remaining Patrick Kelly scooped up a loose Richmond pass and shook off multiple would be tacklers to score and seal Park’s impressive victory. 

Referee: Alan Chandrachud


Tries: Caddy (9’), Te Mete (15’), Post (47‘)
Conversions: Landray (9’, 15’, 47’)
Penalties: Landray (39’)

Team: Maguire, Post, Litchfield, Te Mete, Monson, Massey, Saysell, Bright, Marsh, Landray, Graham, Kerr, Caddy, O’Meara, Bliss
Replacements: Bentley, Mpiko, Benson, Butler, Humphries


Tries: Walker (22’), Stokes (32’), Addams (65′) Burton (68’), Kelly (77’)
Conversions: Wilstead (32’, 65’, 68’)
Yellow Card: Burton (47’)

Team: Garvey, Piper, Wade, Martin, Spencer, Bolwell, Ellis, Wrafter, Fenley, Wilstead, Addams, Gordon, Kelly, Walker, Stokes
Replacements: Miller, Cade, Burton, Baldwin, Craven


The full gallery from the game can be viewed here.


Rams 29 – 19 Chinnor
Birmingham Moseley 21 – 44 Sedgley Park
Blackheath 27 – 31 Bishop’s Stortford
Cinderford 23 – 17 Leicester Lions
Plymouth Albion  54 – 29 Taunton Titans
Sale FC 21 – 28 Darlington Mowden Park

In Matchweek 2, Sedgley Park continued their hot start to life in National One with another bonus point victory away at Birmingham Moseley. Bishop’s Stortford and DMP also joined the Parks, Rosslyn and Sedgley, in securing wins away from home over Blackheath and Sale respectively. Rams, Plymouth and Cinderford each picked up home victories, with the latter being the only of the three not to come away with a bonus point as well.

Up Next for Park is a clash with Birmingham Moseley at The Rock on Saturday 16th September. Tickets are on sale here