MATCH REPORT: Cinderford vs Rosslyn Park




The 1st XV  fell to defeat on Saturday as Cinderford edged a tight contest in The Forest of Dean.

A breathless first half saw the two sides combine for six tries, the first of which came inside 10 minutes when the hosts got some go forward in the middle of the pitch just outside the Park 22 which opened up space on the left-hand side for winger Sam Smith to dot down. As they have done so often this season, the 1st XV responded brilliantly to conceding and levelled the scores just 3 minutes later. After squeezing a penalty and heading into the corner, the pack set up a devastating driving maul which Jasper Cameron duly rode over the line.

Later on, a good spell for the home side saw them camped deep in Park territory going through the phases. A near-turnover at the breakdown for the try-scorer, Cameron, slowed Cinderford’s ball down momentarily, but an excellent hard line from Max Knight just two phases later saw the centre pierce the defence and cross over. After the try, the referee went back to produce a yellow card for Cameron for the attempted turnover.

Despite going down to 14 men, the 1st XV were immediately back on the attack and soon ran in the next score thanks to a brilliant solo effort from the captain Arthur Ellis who showed off some great feet, beating two men and running it in from 40m out.

The fast-paced back-and-forth continued as the two sides exchanged tries once more when Tom Knight crossed over from a maul for the hosts before Matt Gordon retook the lead for Park soon after. Following a Luc Smith carry across the gainline just outside the 22, the powerful centre caught the defence napping when he picked and went before shrugging off two would-be tacklers to dot down.

Early in the second half, Cinderford responded with a pick-and-go score of their own (although from a much shorter distance) as flanker Patrick Pearce crossed the whitewash. 10 minutes later, another dangerous Park driving maul marched Cinderford back from the edge of the 22 to less than 10m out before Josh Pieterse broke away and produced a sumptuous offload which found the supporting Ewan Fenley to make it 22-28 heading into the final quarter of the match.

The final score was a chaotic one as a Cinderford carrier looked to have been forced out over the touchline in the final third, but a speculative offload back inside kept the play alive and seconds later the ball found its way into the hands of Joe Mullis who crossed over. Fly half Jacob Shortland converted the score to edge Cinderford ahead by a single point, a lead which they refused to relinquish in the final 10 minutes despite a spirited effort from the 1st XV to snatch a win at the death.

Referee: Alan Chandrachud


Tries: Smith (8’), M. Knight (18’), T. Knight (27’), Pearce (48’), Mullis (67’)
Conversions: Shortland (28’, 68’)
Penalties: N/A
Yellow Cards: N/A

Team: Edwards, Taylor, Elliot, Jerrum, Thompson, Pearce, Mullis, Ryan, T. Knight, Shortland, Johnson, M. Knight, Samak, Smith, Wilcox

Replacements: S. Knight, Porter, Shields, Angell, Forrester


Tries: Cameron (11’), Ellis (23’), Gordon (31’), Fenley (59’)
Conversions; Smith (12’, 24’, 32’), Craven (60’)
Penalties: N/A
Yellow Cards: Cameron (18’)

Team: Pieterse, Cameron, Hay, Stevenson, Gillanders, Hosking, Ellis, Bolwell, Fenley, Craven, Marfo, Gordon, Stanton, Walker, Smith

Replacements: Buckingham, Wade, Spencer, Martin, Trimble


Blackheath 25 – 15 Sedgley Park
Chinnor 42 – 12 Leicester Lions
Darlington Mowden Park 17 – 13 Bishop’s Stortford
Plymouth Albion 28 – 22 Rams
Richmond 17 – 17 Birmingham Moseley
Sale FC 27 – 40 Taunton Titans

This week in National One saw Blackheath, Chinnor, DMP and Plymouth all pick up wins at home, Taunton won away from home at Sale whilst Richmond and Moseley played out a 17-all draw.

Up Next for Park is a derby day clash with Blackheath next weekend in what will be the final home match of the season. Tickets are on sale here.